Supported lodgings can provide a safe home
What is it?
Supported lodgings offer young people, aged 16 to 25, the opportunity to live in the home of an approved person, known as a 'supported lodgings host' for between two months and two years.
During these placements, 'supported lodgings hosts' - or simply 'hosts' - will offer support with practical skills like cooking and shopping, encouragement and guidance to the young person in their care.
Why Supported Lodgings?
Vulnerable young people we work with have often had very challenging home and family lives. Some of them come from care backgrounds and have moved around many times in their lives. They may not know what it means to be part of a family or may have lost their own because of war.
Research has shown that support with practical tasks, such as cooking, budgeting and food shopping can be more effective when delivered in a family or home environment.
Could you provide a young person with the following?
- A room of their own
- Their own front door key
- Use of facilities including kitchen, bathroom and living rooms
- A safe and welcoming home environment
- Advice and support on practical skills like cooking, cleaning, shopping, laundry and using public transport
- Encouragement to make and sustain positive choices in their lives
We would like our hosts to be from a variety of cultures and lifestyles and encourage families, couples and single people to apply.
Your qualifications, employment status or home tenure type will not exclude you from applying, the most important thing is that you are committed to helping a vulnerable young person move forward in their lives.
What can hosts expect from Centrepoint?
Centrepoint will provide ongoing support:
- Comprehensive training
- 24 hour telephone support from Centrepoint
- Regular meetings with a Centrepoint support worker
- Peer support network for hosts
- Access to a web-based forum
Hosts will get financial support:
- A 'host fee' of £50 per week to cover additional household costs
- Rent on the occupied room, approximately £90 per week depending on the Local Housing Allowance rate in your area
If you are interested in becoming a Centrepoint Host please download an application pack:
Supported Lodgings - Application letter
Supported Lodgings - Role description/FAQs
Supported Lodgings- Application form
Equal opportunities form
Supported Lodgings information leaflet
If you have any questions about the application process, or would like to talk to someone before you apply, please contact Centrepoint's supported lodgings team on:
We seek to challenge discrimination and are committed to fairness and equality within Centrepoint. We welcome applications from anyone with direct experience of being homeless or using young people's services.